Monday 11 March 2013

Monkey and Deer

On Thursday we looked at the art of animation, which is something I've never studied in the context of an art history class before. I especially loved Graeme Patterson's film "Monkey and Deer", not only because of the whole experience of watching the film, but because I felt like every part of the production fit together so perfectly to create something really cool and beautiful. The figures and setting are so realistic, unlike some of the other films we saw, which were more cartoon-like--not that there is anything at all wrong with that. The realism of "Monkey and Deer" keeps the "cuteness" (for lack of a better word) to a low enough degree that other elements like the setting, music, action, and general atmosphere become more prominent.
I was particularly struck by the music. When looking for the video link online I found out that Patterson himself created the music, and I'm not at all surprised, because to me it felt really important to the overall experience. I was thinking as I was watching the film that, combined with the nighttime setting and the realism of the figures, if the music had been any more unearthly sounding the film might have felt a lot more spooky, and had the music been any more playful it could have ended up feeling creepy in a whole other way. I thought the music was perfect though, and really made me feel immersed in the animation instead of like I was just sitting there staring at a screen taking something in (which is too often what I find myself doing).
Another thing I really liked was how Patterson set his film at night--it really contributes to the feeling that the setting is deserted accept for the two figures of the monkey and the deer. It also kind of seemed like the objects were glowing, which was cool.
I guess the whole film had kind of a surreal vibe to it, in a way, especially since a monkey and a deer are two animals that you would probably never see together. But I enjoyed it because it wasn't surreal in a disturbing   or uneasy way, which is what I've encountered most often.
More than anything, Patterson's film made be aware of all the different elements that come together to make a good animated film, which makes me really respect animation as an art form.

No comments:

Post a Comment